We are scheduling an online gathering for this Sunday, February 14th at 15:00. Here are the details on how to join:
Join ICM Zoom Meeting
Worship & Fellowship – Feb 14, 2021 at 03:00 PM Rome
Meeting ID: 841 5994 5792
We will share prayer requests, pray, worship in song, and have a short discussion on Hebrews 12:1-2. In addition to reading the text, please listen to the sermon posted on the podcast site entitled, That Inescapable “Therefore.” It’s the first sermon listed. In addition, please consider the following questions:
- After studying through Hebrews 11, please write in your own words a definition of genuine, biblical, saving faith? Describe what it is and what it looks like. (Personal) How is your definition of Hebrews 11 faith a reality in your life?
- It’s almost like Hebrews 11 was all about Hebrews 12:1. In chapter 11, God says here’s My definition of real faith and here’s what it looks like in the real world, then God says, “Therefore.” Therefore what? What is the therefore, there for?
- Hebrews 12:1 tells us to “run.” In regard to being a Christian, how does Paul use this metaphor of “running?” What does Paul say he does in order to run? What is Paul’s aim in running? (See 1 Corinthians 9:23-27)
- Hebrews 12:1 says we are to “run with endurance.” What does an athlete have to do to build endurance? How would you apply that to living the Christian life? (Personal) Are you running? Are you building endurance?
- Okay, here’s my seemingly ever-present question and sermon comment. It’s a service I’m happy to provide. How much endurance are we really talking about here in light of what the Bible says about human life? (See Job 7:7, 8:9, 14:1-2, Psalm 39:5-6, 78:39, 90:10, 103:15, Ecclesiastes 6:12, James 4:14) (Personal) How does this truth shape the way you will live your life today, and then tomorrow, and then the day after that?
- God tells us to “lay aside every encumbrance.” Some translate the Greek word here “weight.” What are some “encumbrances” or “weights” that hinder our Christian race?
- God tells us to “lay aside the sin that so easily entangles us.” How do we do this? (Personal) Are you doing this?
- According to Hebrews 12:2, what is the key to running this race? How do we do this each day?
- In our brief study of Hebrews 11, what have you learned about faith? How will you apply this to your daily life?
Jim & Karen